Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Butterfly Art

I have noticed how popular butterflies are lately in scrap pages, on pottery, cards, dishes, wall art, etc. I recently saw a really cool butterfly and I can't for the life of me remember WHERE I saw it, but it wasn't very big (i think it was on a card) but it was wayyy cute, and it had fabric stitched on certain part of it, so the edges came up...wayyy cute! (if it was YOURS, please let me know so I can show my inspiration!) ANyways, so I got this wild hair...you know where....and decided to make some butterfly art. I painted an 8x8 canvas lime green, and then cut a butterfly shape (from google images) from heavy chipboard. First I painted it hot pink, then painted over it with Tim Holtz distress crackle paint in Broken China color. You can't see it in the picture, but there is some really cool crackle with pink showing through to give the wings texture!
Then i cut out individual pieces out of chipboard and painted them, and then glued fabric to them. I painted some small dots around the edges, and voila! I used double sided foam tape to make everything POP off the canvas. It's so much better looking IRL (sigh) but at least you get the picture. It was fun and relaxing, and I guess that's all that matters, right? I acctually like the SIDE VIEW pic the best cause you can see the dimension of it all. WHat do you think?



ps-if you click on the picture to make it bigger, you can see the crackle!

6 comments:

Katie said...

You are just too creative! I may have to steal *this* one too. My craft area is done with some butterfly things.

Anonymous said...

This is fan-freaking-tastic girlfriend!

Corinna
www.myscrapbooklife.com

Anonymous said...

This is COOL!!!!! I love the butterfly. Its so pretty!

@wesome@bby said...

This is really neatooooo!

Rachel said...

Hi there... I just saw this on Scrap Scene and had to come over and post a huge WOW! I think this is gorgeous! Tucking it away as an lift for a rainy day! Vrey impressive!

Rachel :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!!